Real-time Sample Composition Statistics
There are currently 24 UAS sample batches. Please note that the recruiting process on average takes approximately six months for most sampled respondents to log in to the UAS survey page for the first time. So for more recent batches the response overview may reflect results that are not yet complete. As a matter of fact, in our experience some sample members may join many months after the last reminder has been sent out. At this point, probably the recruiting of all batches through March 2017 can be considered to be complete. Also note that the list below is updated regularly to include new sample batches. To learn more about a batch and its response details please just click on its name. All percentages reported below are all taken relative to the total number of mailed out surveys minus survey mailed to addresses that were found to be non-existent or invalid (e.g. business addresses).
To learn more about a specific batch, click on its name (opens in a new browser window).
- February 21, 2014923943.1%35.0%19.7%12.8%None
- June 9, 2014405745.5%4.6%3.5%2.5%None
- January 3, 2015422140.9%3.0%2.6%1.8%None
- April 14, 2015176431.1%28.2%14.4%8.5%None
- September 4, 2015179640.4%30.4%13.9%10.4%None
- January 26, 2016321245.3%31.1%15.2%11.7%None
- February 17, 2016209541.0%27.0%13.7%10.5%A random subset of the sample received an envelope addressed as 'Name or Current Resident' ('Current Resident' only if no name available).
A random subset of the envelopes had a colorful label.
- March 1, 2016336138.9%27.0%14.5%10.7%Half of the sample received an envelope by Priority Mail, the other half by regular mail.
- March 15, 2016330438.9%26.4%14.9%11.2%Postcard treatment $5 recruitment strategy
- April 22, 2016337740.2%27.7%15.2%10.9%Personalized Postcard And Letter
- May 16, 2016344739.4%28.0%13.5%10.3%None
- June 27, 2016347240.7%30.4%14.7%10.2%None
- August 12, 2016194231.8%24.7%13.6%9.1%None
- May 15th, 201799728.0%21.8%10.9%8.9%None
- December 14, 2017497627.1%20.4%10.5%8.7%None
- March 23, 2018464828.9%22.2%12.4%11.5%None
- December 7, 2018460527.5%20.1%14.9%13.8%None
2 Native American samples were screened for ethnicity. Welcome Letters were only sent to appropriate ethnic groups, while other respondents are sent a letter thanking them for their interest, and mentioning we may contact them in the future should opportunities arise.
3 The relatively small numbers for the Native Americans are due to ineligibility, not unwillingness to participate.
4 Beginning with the recruitment wave titled “MSG 2018-08 Nationally Representative Batch 9”, UAS changed to an online-first protocol. A revised version of the paper survey (UAS Initial Recruitment Survey, v2) was sent to non-responders as a second phase in the recruitment process. For those who respond to the paper survey, prospective members are asked if they want to join the UAS panel. If they express interest, they are contacted again and invited to regularly participate in online surveys.