The Understanding America Study HRS baseline surveys are the first HRS surveys that UAS respondents are invited to. This happens as soon as they have become part of the UAS and have filled out at least 3 surveys in addition to the My Household Survey (Note: respondents who joined the UAS early were invited already after completing 1 additional survey). The following HRS surveys are administered:
- UAS 20: HRS sections A, B, C and D encompassing questions about the respondent and their household, their health and their mental abilities.
- UAS 21: HRS sections E, F, G and H encompassing questions about the respondent's family and how they care for them, their health and how it affects their daily life, other people they may help or who help them, and the place where they live.
- UAS 22: HRS sections J and J2, K, L and M encompassing questions about the respondent's current job, their last job, their job history and how their health might affect their ability to work.
- UAS 23: HRS sections N and P encompassing questions about the respondent's health insurance, any health services they use, and how likely they think various events will be.
- UAS 24: HRS sections Q and R encompassing questions about the respondent's income and assets.
- UAS 25: HRS section T encompassing questions about any wills, trusts and life insurance policies the respondent may have.