March 2, 2023
The UAS LABarometer Comprehensive file, a comprehensive and harmonized dataset containing all waves of LABarometer Survey data, is now available here.
February 27, 2023
February 22, 2023Now available:
The UAS Cognitive Comprehensive file has been updated with new additions:
- Waves 2 of the Stop and Go Switch Task cognitive test and Figure identification cognitive test.
- A probability of cognitive impairment (PCI) score, a summary cognitive status score used for research (not to be interpreted as a clinical diagnosis)
September 30, 2022Now available:
The September 2022 release of the UAS Comprehensive file is now out with new additions:
- The Wave 14 and 15 UAS HRS harmonized employment history variables were added to the Comprehensive File.
- The Wave 15 UAS HRS retirement variables were added to the Comprehensive File.
- The Wave 14 and 15 harmonized UAS HRS pension variables were added to the Comprehensive File.
- The Wave 15 harmonized UAS HRS health insurance variables were added to the Comprehensive File.
- The Wave 14 and 15 harmonized UAS HRS Social Security variables were added to the Comprehensive File.
- This version of the Comprehensive File contains new data from the fourth wave (Wave 15) of several core non-HRS UAS surveys.
- The 2021 and 2022 versions of the financial health scores, funded by the Financial Health Network, have been added to the Comprehensive File.
- The next release (December 2022) will contain the remaining UAS HRS Wave 15 variables, as well as Wave 15 data from several non-HRS studies.
June 30, 2021Now available:
The June 2021 release of the UAS Comprehensive file is now out with new additions:
- The UAS HRS Wave 14 harmonized income and wealth variables. These variables are derived from the data collected during the third wave of fielding the UAS HRS survey instrument.
- The Wave 13 UAS HRS-derived Demographic variables (consisting of marital history and family structure information). Please see Section 3.1.2 of the Comprehensive File Data Description for more information about these variables.
- The Gerontology Institute at University of Massachusetts Boston (UMB) has created the 2020 versions of the Elder Index TM to include in the UAS data system. These indices are now included in the Comprehensive File. Details about each index are found in Section 3.2.12 of the Comprehensive File Data Description.
Learn more about the UAS Comprehensive File here.
December 15, 2020Now available:
The newest addition to the data site is the Understanding America Study (UAS) Education Project page, which focuses on collecting data from the subset of panel households with at least one preK-12 child and/or at least one postsecondary student. Data collection began in April 2020 through the “Understanding Coronavirus in America Study.” Find out all about it here.
October 10, 2020Now available:
We are happy to present the LA Barometer data page. LABarometer is a quarterly, internet-based survey of over 1,700 Los Angeles County residents that monitors social conditions and attitudes in Los Angeles, with a focus on four key issues: livability, mobility, sustainability & resiliency, and affordability & prosperity. Find out all about it here.
February 5, 2020Now available:
The 2020 Presidential Election Data Page provides data and documentation associated with the 2020 USC Dornsife / LA Times Presidential Election Polls.
January 23, 2020Now available:
The UAS Monthly Events Panel Dataset provides a data set merging and organizing the data from the Monthly Events surveys, a set of surveys fielded at the start of every month among all UAS respondents aged 50 or more asking about their experience with a number of events in the preceding month, as well as their self-assessments of health, life satisfaction, pain, hours worked, earnings and medical expenditures.
December 19, 2019We are now offering a new free data housing service to survey authors:
In support of open-science data transparency, and due to an increasing number of journals that require published manuscripts to make their data available for replication, we are offering a new free service to UAS survey authors. We will house your published analytic data files, or create fully de-identified files that you may house elsewhere.
December 18, 2019Data sets UAS 102, 195, 198, 204, 205, 211, 215 now publicly available:
Onset of positive and negative life events, asked on a monthly basis. These data are combined into a single longitudinal file that will be available for download from the uasdata.usc.edu / "Special Datasets" menu. The file will be updated monthly, as this series continues.
November 15, 2019Data sets UAS 185,186,187,188,189,190 now publicly available:
The wave 3 Health And Retirement Study survey data sets. In the future these data will be added to the UAS Comprehensive File.
November 8, 2017We have developed an exciting new Understanding America Study - Data Visualization (UASVis) Toolkit. The UAS Visualization Toolkit allows users to interactively explore various UAS datasets on a variety of key indicators through interactive, customizable and animated charts, tables and maps. These interactive visualizations are customized to each dataset and will be updated periodically. We gladly invite you to take the toolkit for a test drive and let us know what you think:
Explore the UAS Visualization Toolkit (opens in a new window)
And of course you can always access the UASVis Toolkit at any time through the Special Datasets drop down menu.
October 10, 2017
The new UAS Comprehensive File is out. It merges the data from a number core surveys in the UAS that are repeated every two years and is a great start when exploring the UAS data. Read more about it here.
September 20, 2017
September 11, 2017
We would love to hear what you think of the new site. Just give us your feedback (opens in a new window).
August 29, 2017
Note: Per September 1, 2017 the UAS weighting procedures have been updated. Data sets with weights based on the earlier procedures are available on request by email at email@example.com.
August 14, 2017
-All data sets are now available again for download (if not under embargo). -Search function is now available again through the 'Search' option in the top menu.
August 1, 2017
The UnderStanding America Study data pages got A New Look! We have revamped our site to make it easier to learn about the UAS and use our data. Please do let us know what you think and also don't hesitate to contact us if you have any problems (e.g. logging in).
Some changes to note:
- Online data previews and variable listings are now based on cleaned data.
- All available resources can be found under 'About | Resources'.
- The UAS Election data files are available in one single location under 'Special Datasets | Election 2016'