WElCOME TO THE UNDERSTANDING AMERICA STUDY LOS ANGELES BAROMETER DATA PAGE
LABarometer is a quarterly, internet-based survey of over 1,700 Los Angeles County residents that monitors social conditions and attitudes in Los Angeles, with a focus on four key issues: livability, mobility, sustainability & resiliency, and affordability & prosperity.
- The Livability survey assesses neighborhood quality of life in Los Angeles, guided by the principle that a livable neighborhood is in one in which residents feel happy, healthy, safe, socially connected, and have access to important goods, services, and amenities. Results are published every fall.
- The Mobility survey assesses residents’ transportation patterns, experiences, and preferences, especially as they relate to county-wide efforts to effectively and equitably reduce automobile congestion and increase the use of alternative transportation modes. Results are published every winter.
- The Sustainability & Resiliency survey assesses residents' knowledge of, attitudes towards, and participation in local sustainability and resiliency efforts, including environmental sentiment, disaster preparedness, and adaptations to climate change. Results are published every spring.
- The Affordability & Prosperity survey assesses residents’ financial health and spending habits, their barriers and pathways to social and economic mobility, and the real and perceived impact of growth and change in their neighborhoods. Results are published every summer.
In addition to these four areas of focus, all LABarometer surveys include a consumer sentiment index designed to track optimism about personal finances and the economy.
LABarometer’s survey panel is a sub-panel of the Understanding America Study. For full reports and toplines from each quarterly survey, please visit our website or see below.
Data and documentation for each completed survey can be found below. To access UAS data files, simply register as a UAS data user.
Basic demographics are included in all files. As with all UAS data sets, data may be linked to variables from Other UAS surveys for further analysis if desired. Simply merge these data with other UAS data sets using variable uasid (respondent identifier).
- UAS 194 details 2019 Livability Survey (July 19, 2019 - September 30, 2019) - Direct download: Stata | CSV
- UAS 199 details 2019 Livability Survey Complement (August 12, 2019 - September 08, 2019) - Direct download: Stata | CSV
Questions about the Understanding America Study or about overall UAS survey panel methodology? Click on the "methodology" menu above, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.